What is a Konjac Sponge?
A Konjac Sponge is an amazing skin cleansing tool made exclusively from the Konjac fiber. The Konjac root is a plant similar to a potato, and the ground-up fiber is mixed with water to create the sponges. Although they appear rock-like, once they are soaked in water, they expand and become soft & jelly-like... making for a fun skin cleansing experience.
Konjac is rich in vitamins (A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D, & E), protein, lipids, fatty acids and natural minerals such as copper, zinc, iron, and magnesium. Combining these natural ingredients with its gentle texture, a Konjac Sponge is a perfect tool to be added into your skincare regimen.
Konjac Sponges provide gentle exfoliation and cleansing without irritating or stripping the skin. They are also a great alternative to harsh scrubs or exfoliators that contain plastic microbeads, as your sponge can easily be composted once you're done with it.
How to Get the Most out of your Konjac Sponge
How do I use my Konjac Sponge?
- Rinse and soak the sponge in water until it becomes soft.
- Gently massage skin (be sure to get your face and neck!) in circular motions.
- Rinse after use (do not wring out).
- Let air dry.
Caring for your Konjac Sponge
- Sanitize your sponge every couple of weeks by placing in hot water for 1 minute. This can be done either by pouring boiling water from a kettle over it or placing in a bowl in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Let your sponge dry out completely in between each use. Either hang out sponge to dry, or place on a soap dish with ventilation.
- Each piece of sponge should last 2-3 months.
- Compost your sponge when you are done with it!
Our Favourite Konjac Sponge Routine: Oil Cleansing
Oil cleansing will strengthen your top layer of skin (the brick & mortar wall) and help your skin to be more consistent and less prone to dry skin during seasonal changes and breakouts. This is a great routine for all skin types, as the addition of the sponge helps to clean the pores.
- Apply 1-3 pumps of your Foster Moisturizing Oil onto your face, and use the damp sponge to gently massage in circular motions.
- Rinse off using a warm washcloth,
- If you like the feeling of a double cleanse repeat with the Clarity or Renew Face Wash.
Konjac Sponge FAQ
Do I put my face wash on the Konjac Sponge?
We recommend applying your face wash or oil onto your face first, before grabbing your sponge and massaging in the product using circular motions. Finish by rinsing with cool water.
Can I use the Konjac Sponge on my body?
Yes! If you cut your sponge into 2 pieces, you can use the smaller half for your face, and the larger half for your body. The skin on the rest of your body can benefit from the same gentle exfoliation and vitamins found in the sponge!
Can I use the Konjac Sponge for ingrown hairs?
Absolutely. The sponge helps to promote cell turnover by gently exfoliating, and is delicate enough to use around your most sensitive areas where ingrown hairs may occur.
How long does the Konjac Sponge last?
With proper care, the entire sponge should last about 2-3 months.
How do I know if my Konjac Sponge is ready to be composted?
Your sponge will start to look a little rough around the edges and may have little pieces falling off. When this happens, it's time to say goodbye. Your sponge can be thrown in your compost bin.