Frequent hand-washing is more important than ever, as it’s one of the most effective and easiest things we can do as individuals to help keep ourselves (and our community) safe!
Have you noticed your hands are feeling dryer from frequent handwashing and hand sanitizer? Us too!
Both soap and alcohol are effective at stripping the skin from everything, including its natural oils and the end result is dryness. This is particularly hard for anyone who is prone to eczema or stress-induced skin conditions because the dryness can be very painful and even bleed.
Washing your hands and following the government's recommendations for self-isolation and hygiene are the number one priority right now. So, if your hands have been feeling extra sore lately, we wanted to share some care and repair tips that you can do at home!
Proper Hand Washing Techniques
5 Steps to Wash your Hands the Right Way
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, and between your fingers. Be sure to clean under your nails by running them against the palm of your opposite hand.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds.
- Looking for songs to sing instead of counting? Check out this list!
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
Miiko Tips for Hand Happiness
Tip 1: Choose a natural soap or hand soap without SLS and Triclosan. When washing your hands, avoid using hot water as this can dry skin out even more.
Tip 2: Moisturize immediately after you’ve dried your hands. Our Orange Cocoa Whip and Mini Cocoa Whip are both great options to deeply moisturize. The Mini Cocoa Whip gets bonus points for its portable size and for being unscented!
Tip 3: Do a deep treatment every few days. If there is a flare up, consider bandaging the area and wearing socks on your hands overnight (a good alternative if you don't have gloves)
We’ve now introduced our Hand Essentials Kit, which includes our Honey Face Wash, Mini Cocoa Whip and a 30ml sanitizer spray!
Please take care of yourselves, follow public health guidelines, and wash your hands frequently (and moisturize after when you can!). It’s our responsibility as a community to look after the health and well-being of ourselves, each other, the elderly, and the immunocompromised.
Team Miiko (Kimiko, Sarah & Avery)
Thanks for this, my kid’s hands are getting chapped and sore, poor thing. These ideas are very helpful!