Paleo Tikka Masala
By My Natural Family
This recipe has quickly become of our favourite recipes to make during the Reboot. Indian food is one of our go-to takeout options, but with all the cream, sugar and gluten filled sides, it isn't exactly Reboot friendly!
Enter this recipe! It's simple and quick to put together, and the coconut milk adds a delicious creaminess that will help with any dairy cravings you may be having. For vegetarians, you could easily substitute the chicken thighs for chickpeas.
Find the original recipe here: https://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/paleo-recipes/slow-cooker-chicken-tikka-masala-recipe/
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 4-8 hours
• 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 6 chicken thighs (boneless, skinless) cut into 1" pieces
• 1 yellow onion - diced
• 2 Tsp garlic - minced
• 2 Tsp sea salt
• 1 ½ Tbsp Garam Masala spice
• ½ tsp paprika
• 3 Tbsp tomato paste
• 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
• 1 can (15 oz) organic coconut milk
Optional: fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the chicken and cook until it is golden brown on all sides. Add the chicken to the slow cooker and put the pan back on the heat.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, Garam Masala, and paprika and sauté for another minute. Stir the tomato paste in and cook for another minute.
- Add the onions and tomato paste to the slow cooker. Pour the diced tomatoes over the chicken and onions in the slow cooker along with the can of coconut milk. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid of the slow cooker for the last 30 minutes of cooking to allow the sauce to thick slightly.
- Serve over brown rice or quinoa and top with chopped cilantro.