We wholeheartedly believe that the products you put on your skin should be safe enough to eat. Our skincare is made from whole, real ingredients good enough to bake with and we're here to show you how!
These Lemon Turmeric Cookies are vegan and gluten-free... and may just be one of the tastiest recipes we've ever made! They're a perfect recipe to make as a DIY gift or treat during the holiday season.
Original recipe from The Monday Box.
This recipe highlights these Miiko Skin Co ingredients:
- Turmeric (Genie in a Bottle, Sooke BC) We do not use turmeric powder but do use turmeric essential oil in our Luminous Serum and Turmeric Rose Cream
- Vanilla (Genie in a Bottle, Sooke BC) We do not use vanilla but do use vanilla essential oil in our Vanilla Body Oil, and Orange Cocoa Whip.
Lemon Turmeric Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest from 1 large lemon
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ cup unsalted vegan butter cold, cut into tablespoon pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 4-6 teaspoons lemon juice
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (or food processor), combine the gluten-free flour, confectioners’ sugar, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and turmeric.
- Add the pieces of butter and mix until the butter is in small pieces throughout the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, stir together the lemon juice and vanilla. Pour into the mixer bowl and mix just until the dough forms.
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper and roll into an 8” log. Place the log into the center of the paper. Fold the parchment over the dough and push a ruler edge or dough scraper against the bottom edge of the log where it meets the parchment to remove air pockets and compress the dough into a log about 10” long.
- Roll-up the log in the parchment paper, then place into a paper towel tube cut open lengthwise (to keep the bottom of the log rounded). Wrap the tube encased dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake: Preheat oven to 325° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the dough and slice ¼” thick. Place on prepared baking sheet about 1” apart.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, or just until the bottom edges begin to turn golden. The surface should not brown. Remove from the oven and transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Prepare glaze: In a small bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar and turmeric. Add the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, while mixing until a drizzling/spreading consistency is achieved.
With the wire cooling rack positioned over a sheet of wax paper (to catch drips) drizzle or spread the glaze over a few cookies at a time. Sprinkle immediately with large crystal decorating sugar. Allow the glaze to set completely for several hours before storing the cookies.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container. Glazed cookies stay fresh for at least 1 week. Cookies without glaze stay fresh for up to 2 weeks.