Summer time in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is the season of the Fire Element! The Fire Element is the utmost Yang energy.
In TCM the Fire Element aligns with the Heart.
Fire brings joy, laughter, connection and intimacy. Many naturally find the desire to meet with friends and loved ones has grown beyond the winter months, socializing and connection is at the forefront of this season.
It is common to experience signs of excess heat during the summer.
Examples are: heart palpitations, anxiety, acid reflux, flushed face (this may show up like rosacea), and hyperpigmentation (for more melanated folks).
Are you experiencing any of these? Don’t worry you’re not alone!
Try cooling herbs like Aloe Vera (inner fillet) juice, cucumber water and Spearmint tea to introduce cooling nutritives into your day - but for complex ongoing issues, please see your trusted health practitioners.
Here is a recipe that utilizes a delicious combination of cooling foods to help balance that beautiful Fire Element (Yang Energy) this summer.
Watermelon Mojito Salad Ingredients
Recipe From: From Basics with Babish
- 1 small seedless watermelon, rind removed + cubes
- 1 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- Juice of 3 limes
- Optional: ½ cup dark rum or tequila
- Optional: ½ tsp kosher salt
- Optional: Add cucumber, lemon, kiwi, pear, pineapple and orange slices
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and toss to combine
- Refrigerate until ready to serve or up to 1 week